Tuesday, August 18, 2009

March 1, 2009

Dear Matthew,

I can’t even begin to tell you what a blessing and joy you are to me. You are my one and only grandson and I love you even more than I could have ever imagined. You are such a bright and beautiful boy and so full of energy. Every one in the family adores you and we all treasure our time with you – although that time can be very tiring. You are so fun and always so very active! You make us smile and laugh and enjoy the present moment. You are truly a gift from God to this Granna and I thank Him daily for you.

I was blessed to be in the delivery room when you were born. I witnessed you come into this world. I saw your daddy look up with tears and say “thank you Jesus” for the son he had prayed for. Your daddy even delivered you and this time he didn’t need much coaching for it was his fourth time to do it.

It was not an easy pregnancy for your mother. There were complications and she was confined to bed those last weeks and you came five weeks early. We all prayed for you; but your daddy prayed specifically for a son this time.

God placed you in the perfect home. Your parents love and serve the Lord so faithfully and each other. Your sisters are all precious and they adore you. However, that didn’t come easy for Abby. She had real problems adjusting to her baby brother and for the first 18 months or so we had to protect you from her as she would physically abuse you by pinching you, hitting you, and knocking you down. Once she even jumped on you. Thankfully that all ended and now it is a joy to see you play together. I can see you being the very best of friends forever. I pray for that.

Since you were just a few months old you have loved all kinds of balls. Before you were just a year old you would eye the big basketball goal at our house. You would take all of your strength and arm span and lift a big basket ball while eyeing the goal and try to toss it in. Of course it would only go a few inches into the air. We just all know you will be a basketball star one day; perhaps for the University of Kentucky. I think that is one of the reasons your daddy prayed for a son.

You love to tease. You will proudly announce whose boy you are. Most of the time it’s mommy’s or daddy’s. Sometimes you say Granna’s or Pa’s and sometimes you come to me and announce with a twinkle in your eye “I’m not your boy Granna!” Then, of course, I chase you.

Just the other day your mommy dialed our number and you were on the telephone. You talked to me, and talked to me, and talked to me. Your mommy said you wanted to call me and I was thrilled!

You are so loving and affectionate. You give the best slow kisses while holding both cheeks. You are so loud and rambunctious – yet so very good. You are everything a little boy is made of and more. You fill my heart and complete my life. I smile when I think of you and I always will. One of my greatest joys will be watching you grow into the man God has planned. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11.

I pray you always listen to the Lord and live a life pleasing to Him. Then you will truly be blessed and continue blessing others. I am so thankful and blessed to be your Granna. You hold a large part of my heart! Love, Granna

No comments:

Post a Comment